Usually the challenge of eating healthy is transforming vegetables into something creative and new. Sometimes it’s nice to love vegetables just the way they are. The calendar may swear that summer is over, but grilled vegetable medleys are always in season and this recipe is the perfect segue into fall. Grilling vegetables brings out their natural sweetness, and I love the contrast against the basil and lemon infused rice. It is delicious, clean and a wonderful way to jump start some healthy habits for the upcoming fall months.
Grilled Summer Vegetables, Basil and Lemon over Rice
• 1 pack shiitake mushrooms (roughly 3.2 grams)
• 1 bunch broccolini
• 1 bunch asparagus
• 2 ears sweet corn
• 1 Lemon
• 1 cup white rice
• ½ yellow onion (diced)
• 4 cloves of garlic (diced)
• 1 cup white wine
• 1/3 cup vegetable stock
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1 handful basil (roughly 10 – 15 leaves)
• Parmesan Cheese
• Olive Oil
1. Build an aluminum foil pouch for the shiitake mushrooms. Drizzle olive oil and add a pinch of salt and pepper to the pouch.
2. Place shiitake mushrooms, broccolini, asparagus and *sweet corn on the grill. Place closer to the perimeter to avoid burning. When vegetables are done, return to grill pan and add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and place in oven until time to serve.
a. *Remove the corn kernels from the stalk before returning to grill pan
3. Meanwhile prepare white rice. Use ½ water and ½ vegetable stock when cooking rice, follow package instructions. Add salt and pepper to taste
4. Turn small saucepan to medium high heat, drizzle olive oil and add garlic and yellow onion. Sauté until onions begin to sweat.
5. Add white wine, 1/3 cup vegetable stock, basil and lemon juice. Then lightly simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and continue simmering until its time to serve. (if liquid gets too low, add more wine, stock and lemon to desired consistency).
3. Summer Vegetables
4. Drizzle lemon basil sauce
5. Top with fresh grated parmesan cheese
And of course, chow down!
Plan on making this recipe? Let us know how it goes it the comments.
Big thanks to my amazing boyfriend & the best cook I know, Ben. ♥