I love when girls (and ladies) have one part of their head shaved or cut really short and the other side long to get that funky asymmetrical look. But, because I’m a chicken and fickle, so as a fickle chicken, I don’t have the guts to actually do that! Thus, in the absence of an electric razor and some chutzpah, I came up with this asymmetrical braided hair-do of my own that accomplishes the same type of look, with less chicken tears.
What You’ll Need:
- Clip-in hair extension in your hair color – one that is longer than your hair length and preferable around 3″ wide. Note: if you have really long hair, you can skip this extension and just use the colored ones! I got my extensions from The Hair Shop here in LA – but you can get them at any wig store, some beauty supply stores or online. Real human hair extensions are always better but you can use synthetic ones too!
- 3 colored clip-in hair extensions, in the colors of your choosing.
- A few bobby pins
- Clear plastic hair band – I get mine at the drugstore (made by Goody)
- Curling iron – I got my wand (no clip) from Folica
- Hair brush or comb (optional, to tease roots)
- Hair spray (optional, to seal your ‘do’)
- Clip (to separate your hair when placing your extension)
- Curl your hair in loose waves away from your face. Part your hair in the middle or on the side.
- Part your hair on this side (a little above your ear, but away from your hairline) and clip-in your non-colored hair extension.
- Clip-in your 3 colored hair extensions above your other extension.
- Braid them all together, you can grab pieces of your own hair to include in the braid too!
- Make the braid messy by ‘drawstring-ing’ it. grab one of the three sections of your braid and push the other two up. mess it more with your fingers.
- Seal your braid with your elastic.
- Pin back your hair on the braid side to expose the braid more but keep the extension tops covered. bobby pin in place.
- Braid one or two of the face-framing pieces in a tiny braid and secure back into the same area where you pinned your hair in step 7.
- Spray with hairspray to seal the deal!
Let me know if you have any questions!
See more pics and details of my tutu outfit here.
See more ways to style a tutu here!