Book Club 1: The Magicians

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Re: Book Club 1: The Magicians

Postby xyz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

brightasyellow wrote:The fact that he was angry that Alice slept with someone else but didn't understand how she could be angry at him for having a three-some? GAH.

I know. It seriously made me be like, "Really dude?".

Would Quentin ultimately have been happier if he had chosen not to attend Brakebills?

Probably not. He would've just been miserable about different things. It was clear he wasn't happy with his life pre Brakebills and I don't think he would've done much to change that. He would've finished out his senior year pining away for Julia, went off to college been excited for a moment saying, "this is it! this is where my life begins!" and then the shiny newness would wear off and it would be back to square one.
xyz

Postby brightasyellow » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't know if Quentin would've been happier, but I don't think he would've become such an arrogant ass. Maybe he would've found some club or niche where he could really shine. He might not have been happier but I think he would've grown up more.

Next question: What does Quentin’s encounter with Julia in the cemetery say about him?

I don't have the book any more (had to return it to the library), but I think that here was one place where he showed some humanity. He talked to the headmaster when he went back to Brakebills about it. Once again, I can't properly recall the scene...
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby xyz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:08 am

brightasyellow wrote:Next question: What does Quentin’s encounter with Julia in the cemetery say about him?

I agree that he did show some humanity in asking the Dean to try and erase her memory again. I felt the that scene was more, "Poor poor Julia, she is beneath me now" though. I got the impression that Quentin was soooooooooo "over" Julia. Like I've said, I was really interested in Julia and it would've been good to at least add something more to the story than that one little scene about how she had been dealing with knowing about Brakebills.
xyz

Postby xyz » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm all for keeping the discussion going on this first selection (thank you Bright for facilitating the questions) but should we also decide on our next book. We talked about A Visit From the Goon Squad, but are there any other suggestions before I post a thread and start harassing people into picking up the book?
xyz

Postby brightasyellow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 am

I'm totally up for A Visit From the Goon Squad. I don't think I'm much good for The Magicians' discussion any more as I read it more than a month ago and no longer have it in my possession :(
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby tellulahdarling » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:46 am

The second book, The Magician King, I liked better.

Just a quick thought on whether magic is a blessing or a curse, IMHO, it would depend on the magic. There is this amazing British TV series called Misfits where the way the characters see themselves, becomes their magic power. It becomes very interesting in terms of whether that's a blessing or a curse.

Just finished A Visit from the Good Squad. Some beautiful writing in that book.
tellulahdarling

Previous

Return to Page Turners