Beauty Pro Tips

From nail art to the latest designer collection, discuss all your fashion and beauty favs here!

Beauty Pro Tips

Postby xyz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:56 am

What are your favorite beauty short cuts or cheap tricks?

One of my favorites is baby powder in your hair to combat greasies. I don't like to shampoo every day because I straighten. But by the end of Day 2 my hair is starts to get a little bit slick looking for my standards. :lol: Baby powder to the rescue! I think it only works for lighter colored hair but is cheaper than dry shampoo and works better in my opinion.

Lemme in on your best secrets!
xyz

Re: Beauty Pro Tips

Postby onsilver_stars » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 am

Vaseline on eyelids to turn powder eyeshadow into a creamier gel, also vaseline (lightly!) in eyebrows to hold them still, looks less rigid than hairspraying them down (I have some wild brows, ladies).
...I wish and wish and wish.

I know I'm private, but I'll accept you I swear! You only have to request it.. *
onsilver_stars

Postby xyz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Oh gosh I love any and all eyebrow tips and I can't wait to try this. I've never hair sprayed but the edge of my right eyebrow is crazy.
xyz

Postby brightasyellow » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Ooh, I have a question. Molls recently wrote a post about the skin care products she uses but it was so overwhelming. For some reason, I've recently started to break out again and am looking for a good face wash as I don't think the one I use is doing the job. I also need reccs on a good moisturizer as I'm noticing wrinkles...
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby printcards » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Sort of gross, but when you don't feel like showering spray your toner on a paper towel and wipe down your body.

Exfoliate your lips with your toothbrush.

Make your own body scrub course sea salt and olive oil. You can also add a few drops of essential oil in your favorite scent. Soooo much cheaper than buying one pre-made.

For face wash I use Lush Fresh Farmacy. It's for sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts. I just started using Argan Oil as my face moisturizer. The bottle I bought was sort of expensive (Josie Maran) but you only use a few drops. It will probably last me at least a year. I've had it for about a month and the bottle looks like I've barely used any.
printcards

Postby anne » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:24 pm

Lip exfoliation via toothbrush, yes!
Also, NOT using an exfoliating scrub everyday did some good for my skin.

I do the powder on hair thing sometimes when my hair is super oily. I find dry shampoo hilarious, though. People talk about it as if it's a miracle and I'd be like, "you mean you've never put powder on your hair before?" It's JUST POWDER, people!

I've been using Lush's Dark Angels face wash for over 2 years now, and my skin has never been better. I guess there's something about it that just clicked with me.
Twitter: *
anne

Postby xyz » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:42 pm

brightasyellow wrote:I also need reccs on a good moisturizer as I'm noticing wrinkles...

I'd try Philosophy's Miracle Worker. It is kinda expensive but really thick so you just need a dab.
xyz

Postby whirlingdervish » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:48 pm

printcards wrote:For face wash I use Lush Fresh Farmacy. It's for sensitive skin that is prone to breakouts.

I need to check this out!
whirlingdervish

Postby cindypark26 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:35 pm

brightasyellow wrote:Ooh, I have a question. Molls recently wrote a post about the skin care products she uses but it was so overwhelming. For some reason, I've recently started to break out again and am looking for a good face wash as I don't think the one I use is doing the job. I also need reccs on a good moisturizer as I'm noticing wrinkles...

Dr. Bronner's Magic Pure Castile Classic Soaps - http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm

I swear by this stuff and use it every day for my face AND body. Comes in great scents and has really improved my skin. You can get a huge 16 oz bottle at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods for like 10 bucks and it lasts forever.
    Often imitated, never duplicated.
cindypark26

Postby brightasyellow » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:48 pm

Cindy - that looks interesting! And it really works well for your face?

As for moisturizers, I really can't afford anything expensive; it's pretty much gotta be drug store level because I'm unemployed:(
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Next

Return to Lookin' Fly