Beer & Wine Thread

A place for older Gigglers to discuss more "adult" topics not suitable elsewhere.

Re: Beer & Wine Thread

Postby WibblyWobbly » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Truan wrote:I still find it weird that you guys in the US have to wait til you're 21 to drink! Although I'm guessing that rule is broken more often than not, just like over here in Aus :P

Haha, yep! I remember those days before I was 21 (which was less than a year ago) and my dad told me it wasn't illegal for me to drink under 21, just for me to BUY alcohol under 21. Which was code for: I really dont care if you steal the occasional Yuengling out of the refrigerator. :lol:
WibblyWobbly

Postby hiphopscotch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 am

whirlingdervish wrote:I just recently had a watermelon beer which I KNOW sounds gross and normally I hate fruity stuff, but it was INSANELY good. I cant see having more than one though. Nice for when you just want one.

I cant remember who made it. Just that it had the statue of liberty and said "Come hell or high watermelon, wheat beer" on the can.... lol

That would be 21st Amendment Brewery! I haven't had that one, but I always look at it longingly and wonder if it would be good or gross!
hiphopscotch

Postby whirlingdervish » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:24 am

hiphopscotch wrote:
whirlingdervish wrote:I just recently had a watermelon beer which I KNOW sounds gross and normally I hate fruity stuff, but it was INSANELY good. I cant see having more than one though. Nice for when you just want one.

I cant remember who made it. Just that it had the statue of liberty and said "Come hell or high watermelon, wheat beer" on the can.... lol

That would be 21st Amendment Brewery! I haven't had that one, but I always look at it longingly and wonder if it would be good or gross!

YES!!!! Thats it, thank you! I thought it was going to be gross, I mean watermelon? In BEER? but I was really surprised at how good it was!
whirlingdervish

Postby hiphopscotch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:28 pm

whirlingdervish wrote:
hiphopscotch wrote:

YES!!!! Thats it, thank you! I thought it was going to be gross, I mean watermelon? In BEER? but I was really surprised at how good it was!

Haha, I go to the beer aisle at my local superdeluxe grocery store and take pictures of beer I want to try and after your description, I knew I had that in my phone!
hiphopscotch

Postby mango » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:52 pm

I am more of a whiskey girl, than a beer girl, but my favorite beer is called switchback ale. it's from the breckenridge brewery. I am pretty lucky to live in such a big beer area. I am always really impressed by wynkoop as well. they did a special edition honey ale that was unreal. national brands though, I stick to blue moon, and sam adams. can't really go wrong with them.

I could talk about wine for days, but my ole' faithful is barefoot. for $10, it's a damn good bottle of wine. I usually get their cab, but I enjoy everything except their moscato (I'm just not a fan of moscato in general.) I had an amazing cab franc from ferrari carano a while ago, and I have to say I haven't found anything as good since (not for lack of trying. I um.. might have a wine problem. whatever, I'm french.)

I love gary vaynerchuk's site, I have very similar tastes as he does (big reds, oh yes), so I usually end up enjoying what he does. I watch his reviews all the time, especially when I am stumped on what to try next! http://tv.winelibrary.com/
mango

Re: Beer &*; Wine Thread

Postby VTForLife86 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:56 pm

hiphopscotch wrote:I love beer! My favorites * wiet beers * hefeweizens, basically * Belgian or wheat. I don't like getting drunk, so I usually stick to one good beer * I'm good for the night! Some good ones to try *:
1. Flying Dog Brewery-Raging b***h which is * Belgian-style IPA.
2. Stone Brewing Co.-Arrogant * which is (I guess) * black IPA which is * incrediblyyyyyyyyy hoppy session beer.
3. New Belgium Brewing-1554 Enlightened Black *. This one is incredibly smooth * very different * tasty

Girl after my own heart....Raging Bitch and Arrogant * are two of my all time favorite beers! I would also recommend:

1) Magic Hat Brewing Co. - #9, It's based out of my hometown, South Burlington, VT and is a nice apricot ale!
2) DogFish Head Brewing - (pretty much anything from these guys), if you like IPAs which are my favorite then try the 60 or 90 minute IPA, beware they are pretty lethal. Also, their Bitches Brew (named after the Miles Davis album) is a great fusion beer, closest to a stout. Also, there seasonal "Punkin" ale is great for the fall.
3) Green Flash - West Coast IPA - super hoppy and delicious
4) Lagunitas - Hairy Eyeball is there summer solstice beer and is a kinda hoppy ale, but for year round stuff try out their Maximus and IPA.
5) Avery Brewing - White Rascal is a belgium white ale that's pretty tasty.
6) Huyghe Brewery - Delirium Tremens is a belgium strong pale which is one of my usual go-tos.

If these beers aren't necessarily the style that you like, I would check out the full array offered at all of these breweries as most of what they have to offer is pretty killer. Hope this helps! Enjoy!
VTForLife86

Re: Beer &*; Wine Thread

Postby hiphopscotch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:35 pm

[quote="VTForLife86]
Girl after my own heart....Raging Bitch and Arrogant * are two of my all time favorite beers! I would also recommend:

1) Magic Hat Brewing Co. - #9, It's based out of my hometown, South Burlington, VT and is a nice apricot ale!
2) DogFish Head Brewing - (pretty much anything from these guys), if you like IPAs which are my favorite then try the 60 or 90 minute IPA, beware they are pretty lethal. Also, their Bitches Brew (named after the Miles Davis album) is a great fusion beer, closest to a stout. Also, there seasonal "Punkin" ale is great for the fall.
3) Green Flash - West Coast IPA - super hoppy and delicious
4) Lagunitas - Hairy Eyeball is there summer solstice beer and is a kinda hoppy ale, but for year round stuff try out their Maximus and IPA.
5) Avery Brewing - White Rascal is a belgium white ale that's pretty tasty.
6) Huyghe Brewery - Delirium Tremens is a belgium strong pale which is one of my usual go-tos.

If these beers aren't necessarily the style that you like, I would check out the full array offered at all of these breweries as most of what they have to offer is pretty killer. Hope this helps! Enjoy![/quote]

Yes to DogFish Head Brewing! Also, I always see Lagunitas in the fancy beer aisle but haven't tried any yet!
hiphopscotch

Postby xyz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:03 am

1. I've heard great things about the Watermelon Beer from multiple sources so I'll have to keep my eye out for it!
2. * - Barefoot is my go to wine. I know I won't be disappointed so I'm kind of stuck in a rut because I'm afraid to try anything new! Their moscato is probably one of my favorites. So bubbly and light!
3. * - Dogfish Punkin is so good! I love pumpkin beers and it is always a joy when they start coming out and then I cry when they disappear slowly. I've tried a bunch of different Magic Hats and they have all been good but nothing sticks out in my mind right now. I think they have an Irish Red that is particularly good.

The last beer I bought was a 6 pack of Sam Adams Winter Lager on Thanksgiving. It was tasty but not as good as the St. Arnold's that I had posted earlier in the thread. I have one of those Sam Adams specially designed glasses (got it for free on their brewery tour) that I haven't used. It was crazy how different the beer tasted out of the glass. I'm kinda excited to try a beer from a bottle vs. glass for every 6 pack I get now! This is not my picture but it is pretty representative of my night last night.
xyz

Postby elizabethlsiegel » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:17 am

I just bought a six pack of Blue Moon Winter Abbey because it said sugar on it and I was hungry and I'm kind of hoping that it will taste like cookies. Has anyone had it?
I'm on Twitter. * is my name. Let's be friends.

I'm also blogging about music. Read my opinions at theinternetjerk.tumblr.com
elizabethlsiegel

Postby hiphopscotch » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:53 am

*, the Come Hell or High Watermelon beer is seasonal :( It's already disappeared from my local fancy beer aisle
hiphopscotch

PreviousNext

Return to Giggles After Dark