What are you currently reading?

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

What are you currently reading?

Postby brightasyellow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Just read: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
I *think* I read this in high school, but I can't remember. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Twain was such a great humorist.

Currently reading: Islands in the Stream by Hemingway
This was published posthumously, so the manuscript wasn't completely edited. It's an interesting read in that the main character is a grown man with children as opposed to the protagonists in early Hemingway books that were young men chasing women. It's not his finest work (it really could've used the editing), but his brilliance with language is evident.

Next up: Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis
I've been on a Lewis kick recently. I'd never read anything by him until this summer. His view of American life is very cynical and he's a great satirist.

Obviously I'm on a classics kick. I'm sure I'll read something published more recently, but the classics are classics for a reason;)

~Lis
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby shoberry » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:10 pm

currently i'm reading Jane Eyre, but I really want to get Mindy Kalings book!
shoberry

Postby amour courtois » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm currently reading the ninth book in the Pretty Little Liars series and I really am enjoying it, even if I sort of have shame in reading novels of this genre because I'm an English major and I feel like there are these unspoken rules of having to be well-read and serious.

Soon I will start reading Sherman Alexi's Ten Little Indians for my English lecture and I just read the graphic novel Black Hole for that class.

I hope to read Harry Potter à l'École des Sorciers next as I am not taking a French class this semester and want to keep up my French skills.
amour courtois

Postby jen » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 pm

"the marriage plot" by jeffrey eugenides. very different from the virgin suicides and middlesex, but i'm enjoying it!
jen

Postby brightasyellow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 pm

Amour - don't have shame about what you read! I'll go from reading a classic to reading a potboiler mystery and both are important to me as they serve different functions. I'm also pretty much constantly rereading Harry Potter and The Little House series.

I've heard that The Marriage Plot is really fantastic. I haven't read The Virgin Suicides, but I loved Middlesex.

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby arealgoodbet » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I just finished Mindy Kaling's book which was hilarious. I highly recommend it.

Right now I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale and loving it so far.

Also, I agree, don't be ashamed of what you read! I do a lot of reading and I've read a lot of classics, but I'm also a fan of cheesy romances (the kind you're embarassed to be seen reading because of the cover - it's the reason I got a Kindle) and I hate when people make me feel like because I read a lot I ought to only read "good" literature.
Last edited by arealgoodbet on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arealgoodbet

Postby Ptree82 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:29 pm

For my 28th birthday I bought a bunch of classic fiction novels and promised myself I would read one each year. Right now I'm about half way through Don Quixote. It's my everest! It has never taken me so long to read a book in my life. I hate to admit it but I'm going to have to take a little break. Last night I started reading Decision Points by George Bush and I ordered The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. Several people have told me that The Alchemist has changed their lives. I figure after I finish these two books I will give The Don another shot.
Ptree82

Postby thegirlwhowaited » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Just finished: Homer & Langley by E.L. Doctorow
Brilliant. Kind of dark, but brilliant. I laughed, I cried, I imagined what it would be like to be blind for a day.

Currently Reading: Bone in the Throat by Anthony Bourdain
I'm a huge fan of his No Reservations and it was only $1.99 on kindle so I had to give it a try.

Next up: Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Hopefully to be finished by the time New Year's rolls around. I've always been curious to see what it's all about.
thegirlwhowaited

Postby brightasyellow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Ptree - Honestly, I really didn't like The Alchemist. It felt super cheesy.

Thegirlwhowaited - Doctorow is one of my all-time favorite authors. Have you read The Book of Daniel? One of my fave books. I also really liked Billy Bathgate. I have yet to read his newer novels... Atlas Shrugs has been on my bookshelf for a looong time. I'm not a fan of her philosophy, but I find that educating myself on things I disagree with helps me clarify my own beliefs. I read We, the Living by her and thought it was very interesting.

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby Ptree82 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Bright - Oh no! Well I'll still give it a shot. I'm open to reading almost anything. Thanks for the input though.
Ptree82

Next

Return to Page Turners