Documentaries

Discuss your favourite films and TV shows, old and new, here!

Re: Documentaries

Postby Miss_Trina » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Just saw 'Into the Abyss' this past weekend. It follows 2 men who murdered 3 people in a Texas town. It was filmed last year and one of the men was on death row and was to be executed 8 days from the time it was filmed. The director, Werner Herzog, is clearly against the death penalty (which I am 100% against as well), but he is also very fair in showing just how horrific the crime was that the two men committed. He interviews the inmates, their family members, the victims' daughter/sister, a man who was some sort of former head of a death row ward, and some sort of religious head who is there during executions. Very well done documentary. Highly recommend.
Miss_Trina

Postby GlamophonicT » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 am

Just saw Jesus Camp. I was totally freaked out by it.
It moves so fast , theres no time for perfection.
So make the most of this life
GlamophonicT

Postby elizabethlsiegel » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 pm

I thought Jesus Camp was really, really funny. I'm also a complete *.
I'm on Twitter. * is my name. Let's be friends.

I'm also blogging about music. Read my opinions at theinternetjerk.tumblr.com
elizabethlsiegel

Postby elizabethlsiegel » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:07 am

Ouch, double post!!!

Last night I starting watching America: The Story of Us on Netflix. It's a miniseries that basically covers the curriculum in your average US History class but it does that realllllly well and the picture is stunning.

elizabethlsiegel

Postby PaulinedeGr » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:50 am

missrachelle wrote:you should watch religulous

I agree. I felt all kinds of emotions while watching this. But it is shot from an atheistic point of view (that's why it appealed to me) but I totally understand why it is offensive to people with a strong believe. Just a little warning.
PaulinedeGr

Postby superlatifs » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:03 am

I've heard The Cove is excellent, but I just can't bring myself to watch it.

Someone's already recommended Exit Through the Gift Shop, which I really enjoyed - it's quite interesting but it's light-hearted too. Man on Wire is great as well.

Other ones that come to mind are...

Inside Job - I think this won the Oscar most recently, and it really does a good job of exploring the factors behind the 2008 economic collapse. It made me very angry. Haha.
The Corporation - In a similar vein to Inside Job, explores the modern development of the economic entity that is the corporation and the effects of this development. You can stream it online for free from its website (which is super awesome).
Rip! A Remix Manifesto - Basically about the rise of mixing music (e.g. Girl Talk) and the challenges it presents as well as its innovations. I watched this in class a few years back and really enjoyed it.
We Live in Public - Follows a somewhat erratic internet pioneer, Josh Harris and his increasingly bizarre experiments and engagement with the ideas of technology and its effects on our lives.
superlatifs

Postby Oogolly » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Recently I saw Dark Days an all black and white film, which is about a group of homeless people that lived in some underground tunnles in NYC. Very interesting to watch as these people made makeshift homes out whatever they could find, had running water and even electrcity. They all have their own stories as to what brought them there and it was definitely eye opening.
Oogolly

Postby xyz » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:03 pm

elizabethlsiegel wrote:Ouch, double post!!!

Last night I starting watching America: The Story of Us on Netflix. It's a miniseries that basically covers the curriculum in your average US History class but it does that realllllly well and the picture is stunning.

I'm glad you mentioned this is on Netflix! I love American History documentaries. I'm a big nerd-o.
xyz

Postby elizabethlsiegel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:34 am

xyz wrote:
elizabethlsiegel wrote:Ouch, double post!!!

I'm glad you mentioned this is on Netflix! I love American History documentaries. I'm a big nerd-o.

Well then you have to watch this!!!!!

elizabethlsiegel

Postby tiny_increments » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 pm

I love Man on Wire. One of the best documentaries ever! They some how managed to make a story told to the camera by frenchmen incredibly suspenseful and riveting. And it's so inspiring watching someone talk about the thing they are the most passionate about, the thing they believe they were destined to do. Amazing!
tiny_increments

PreviousNext

Return to Ones To Watch