What are you currently reading?

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby brightasyellow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:42 pm

Ptree - Yeah, I'll read pretty much anything, as well ;)
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby MsPeggster » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and next I'll be reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I like reading non fiction and fiction that are related to my major, but aren't in a textbook.
I'm so glad to hear that The Marriage Plot is good! I loved Middlesex and the Marriage Plot is on my Christmas wish list :D
MsPeggster

Postby thegirlwhowaited » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Ptree- The Alchemist has been on my reading list for a while now as well. I recently read Coehlo's The Winner Stands Alone, and while from the reviews I've read it sounds like it stands out from the rest of his works, I still have hope for The Alchemist!

Bright- I have not, but I definitely want to. The only other Doctorow I currently have is City of God, which I find much less captivating. I agree on educating oneself on everything. I don't think you have to agree with something in order to enjoy learning about it.
thegirlwhowaited

Postby brightasyellow » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:09 pm

Peggster - I love Brave New World. Chillingly good. I really enjoyed The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and it brought up a lot of good questions.

thegirl - I haven't read City of God, but if you're going to read something else by him, try The Book of Daniel.
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby jannae » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

just read: miss peregrines home for peculiar children. I loved it and convinced my mom she should read it. :)

now reading: 1Q84. I'd read a little about it and a few of my Facebook friends recommended it so I downloaded it on my phone and I really like it so far.

its also my first time reading a digital book and I think I like it enough to actually want a kindle or nook, it hurts a little less when you drop it on your face... lol :)
jannae

Postby Becky » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:13 pm

shoberry wrote:currently i'm reading Jane Eyre, but I really want to get Mindy Kalings book!

I am also currently (re)reading Jane Eyre. It is my all-time favorite! I have read it just about once a year every year since I was in the sixth grade (I am now 28, so that's...17 times?) I practically have it memorized.

I am in a re-reading mode. Going through things I loved once, reading them with older eyes, new experiences, etc. It can be really exciting to discover things you never noticed before. I just finished rereading the entire Harry Potter series. What I didn't notice the first time was how planned everything was from the very beginning. I mean, Hagrid mentions Sirius Black in the first chapter! But we, as readers, just slide on past the name without a second thought because we have no idea who Sirius Black will turn out to be! It's fascinating!

Not sure what's next on the horizon. I am enjoying the comfort of revisiting these old friends, so I may continue on my re-reading journey.
Becky

Postby jayneanne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:40 pm

I have a really bad habit of starting books before I've finished others. I'll start a book and then I'll see a new book at the store by an author I love so I have to buy it and start it. This makes finishing books very hard. Writers should know to not publish their books at the same time so I can finish one!

Right now I'm reading Fallen Skies by Philippa Gregory. I've got 2 more by her looking at me, yelling at me to hurry up and finish: Lady of the Rivers and The Women of the Cousins War. I also just bought the final book in the Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. I don't know what I'm doing on my computer when I obviously have a lot of reading to do!
jayneanne

Postby jivedot » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:42 pm

I recently read A Kestrel For A Knave and The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie for my own enjoyment, but since them I've had to stick to relevant books for my essays (I'm currently at university). I'm really looking forward to getting them done though so that I can read E. M. Forster's Maurice, and then get a dvd of the film !
jivedot

Postby Lyne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:52 pm

I am currently reading Night Watch by Terry Pratchett, I am obsessed with the discworld. I am not sure what I will be reading next. With NaNoWriMo, my reading has petered off a bit.
Admin at BarelyComical
Writing/Reading blog: Blathering of a Bibliophile
Lyne

Postby pinkgrapefruits » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:53 pm

I just finished Mindy Kaling's book, which was really funny! You should read it if you haven't already. Then the other night I started "It's a Waverly Life" by Maria Murnane. It's the sequel to "Perfect on Paper: The (Mis)-Adventures of Waverly Bryson," which I read last summer and really liked so I'm hoping the sequel is good too!
pinkgrapefruits

PreviousNext

Return to Page Turners