What are you currently reading?

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Re: What are you currently reading?

Postby jivedot » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:04 am

ald7th wrote:
jivedot wrote:I recently read A Kestrel For A Knave and The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie for my own enjoyment, but since them I've had to stick to relevant books for my essays (I'm currently at university). I'm really looking forward to getting them done though so that I can read E. M. Forster's Maurice, and then get a dvd of the film !

We're reading The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie for one of my English classes! Just finished it for the discussion tomorrow. Quite a good one--have you read any other of Muriel Spark's works? If so, I'd love to hear your recommendations!

sorry, I haven't read any others, but I'd really like to though. Let me know if you do ! I just found Jean Brodie in a library and thought I'd give her a go. I wish I had an English class to discuss it with, it's a book that definitely seems worth talking and thinking about. I miss studying English Literature
jivedot

Postby Osstie » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:44 am

I'm reading Anne Frank: The Diary of a young girl, and the last book in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I enjoyed about 10 vampire books over the summer :) Charlaine Harris, and the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by laurell k hamilton. Next up is mary shelly's frankenstein.
Osstie

Postby Amaranta » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:29 am

Taking a break form my Shakespear marathon and reading Virginia Woolf's "To the Lighthouse". She is an incredible writer. The kind that can help you become a better person.
Amaranta

Postby jayneanne » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 am

Amber13 wrote:I am now reading Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. So far it's pretty good but I'm only on chapter 5.

This is the most amazing, beautiful book I've ever read. The women in my family and my friends passed it around until we had all read it. I love books and I love to read but I've never felt about a book the way I feel about Redeeming Love. Gorgeous.
jayneanne

Postby heybrittknee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:10 am

The Road of Lost Innocence- The true story of a Cambodian Heroine Somaly Mam.

This book will change your life. Somaly is now an activist that helps rescue girls in Cambodia who are sold into prostitution. In her book it tells her own story of being born in a small village in Cambodia and being orphaned and she slept in a forest until one family took her in but since they were not her real family she was sold to man who used her to repay his own debts, he beat her and sold her...She ended up in a brothel and witnessed girls being shot, rapped, beaten, and she saw young girls at the age of 12 being sold into prostitution. These days they are sold even younger. Reading how she overcame and all she has accomplished now will give you a new perspective on life. I recommend everyone read this.
Brittney McWhorter,
"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination" John Lennon
heybrittknee

Postby LittlestThing » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:41 am

Right now Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger and I like it a lot, I'll probably read his other books when I find the time...
After that I have to read Plautus' play Menaechmi (I have no clue what the English title is, sorry), it's very short but I just can't get motivated.
Also, my guilty pleasure is fanfiction :D
LittlestThing

Postby whirlingdervish » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Over the summer I read "wanderlust- a love affair with 5 continents" by Elisabeth Eaves which I LOVED LOVED LOVED.
I am now working on "The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. Just started so I haven't really formed an opinion on it yet. :)
whirlingdervish

Postby Oogolly » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Right now, I'm re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman... love that book so much!
Oogolly

Postby gurlwithacurl » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:48 pm

I just finished These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf. Sooo good! Full of suspense and excellent plot twists!
gurlwithacurl.tumblr.com
gurlwithacurl.tumblr.com
gurlwithacurl

Postby FrannyGlass » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:58 pm

LittlestThing wrote:Right now Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger and I like it a lot, I'll probably read his other books when I find the time...
After that I have to read Plautus' play Menaechmi (I have no clue what the English title is, sorry), it's very short but I just can't get motivated.
Also, my guilty pleasure is fanfiction :D

All of his best books are about the Glass Family in my opinion. Franny and Zooey, Nine stories (a perfect day for banana fish), Raise high the roofbeam carpenters and seymour an introduction.
"Listen, don't hate me because I can't remember some person immediately. Especially when they look like everybody else, and talk and dress and act like everybody else."
FrannyGlass

PreviousNext

Return to Page Turners