Best of 2011

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Re: Best of 2011

Postby brightasyellow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Oooh, I've heard good things about Room.

Ptree - Do you use goodreads.com? It's an easy way to keep track of what you're reading. I'm also trying to cut back on obsessively checking twitter and FB, etc. I find that it makes me anxious (weird, I know), so now I'm reading more. I just started my fourth book of the year!
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby anne » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

I read maybe 7 books this year. Only the following are noteworthy:

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes: a thriller about a survivor of an abusive relationship and how she deals with PTSD coupled with OCD. Really good read.

Prague by Arthur Phillips: Set in Hungary in the 90s, a group of American expats struggle to make it in life in Europe

How to be a Woman by Caitlin Moran: Memoir of a strident feminist. Loved it.
Twitter: *
anne

Postby Ptree82 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:37 am

brightasyellow wrote:Oooh, I've heard good things about Room.

Ptree - Do you use goodreads.com? It's an easy way to keep track of what you're reading. I'm also trying to cut back on obsessively checking twitter and FB, etc. I find that it makes me anxious (weird, I know), so now I'm reading more. I just started my fourth book of the year!

I never used it but I'll check it out! Thanks!

4th book of THIS year??
Ptree82

Postby brightasyellow » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:10 am

Ptree - Yep, fourth book of 2012! It's amazing how much time I have now that I'm not on the web as much!
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby Lexie » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 am

I loved room by Emma donoghue. It was one of those that isn't a happy, pleasant read but is absolutely worth it! If you like that you should try before I go to sleep by Sj watson. It's also brilliant.
I think my favourite book of the year (not necessarily new) would be a toss up between the sense of an ending by Julian barnes and henrietta's war by Joyce Denny's. Both amazing books. Henrietta had me in stitches!
Last edited by Lexie on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
follow me on twitter: lexiedickinson
Lexie

Postby Albertodegama » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:20 am

Hi, my favorite's Maximum Ride! I just finished reading Crash Into Me by Albert Borris, now I'm reading Breakfast At Tiffany's, I love the movie :)
Whats yours? What's it about? What book are you reading now?
PS To Shazy if you'r reading this...
Albertodegama

Postby EvaChavela » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:25 pm

I'm currently reading Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. It's a huge book! It's so big I can't carry it on the subway to read, but I refuse to get a nook or ereader just yet. I still like the feel of a real book. And the smell. I love the smell of books especially old ones. This one is new though and so far it's my favorite book I've read this year. Some history books can be boring, zzzzz, but this one is written in a way that keeps me reading even when it's 3am and I'm sleepy. I've been wanting to read Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk, but haven't had a chance yet :(

Link to the book if you want to check it out...: http://www.amazon.com/Team-Rivals-Polit ... 641&sr=1-1
My archived music page (I don't play anymore) --> http://www.myspace.com/evachavelamusic
EvaChavela

Postby xyz » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 am

Doris Kearns Goodwin is so awesome. I love listening to her talk. I need to read more history books, for sure.
xyz

Previous

Return to Page Turners