Book Club 1: The Magicians

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Book Club 1: The Magicians

Postby onsilver_stars » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:01 am

Apparently the thread fell into neglect and was deleted, so I'm re-posting it!

We will begin discussing The Magicians on DECEMBER 22!
Have you guys gotten your books/started reading yet? Only 23 days left to read!!!
...I wish and wish and wish.

I know I'm private, but I'll accept you I swear! You only have to request it.. *
onsilver_stars

Re: Book Club 1: The Magicians

Postby brightasyellow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 am

I'm reading it right after I finish The Long Valley, a collection of short stories by Steinbeck! I'm getting it from the library and I'm going to be taking notes! People, be prepared!
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby xyz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:00 pm

I ordered it from Amazon over Thanksgiving and it should arrive by Saturday! Really excited to start reading it and hopefully everyone who checked in on the old thread will be here on the 22nd to discuss.
xyz

Postby brightasyellow » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:05 am

So I'm on page 100 or so and am really enjoying it. So far, it's like an R-rated Harry Potter, but I don't have a problem with that as I LOVE Harry Potter.

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby whirlingdervish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:07 pm

I started reading it on my road trip over Thanksgiving and I am really into it! Its so not anything I would have normally picked out for myself but I am definitely enjoying it. :) Cant wait to talk about it!
whirlingdervish

Postby xyz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:35 am

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. It looks like it is shaping up to be a cold and dreary day here. Time to build a fire, curl up, and get some reading done! I read the first chapter or so last night before basically passing out and i'll echo the sentiment that it is a book I wouldn't have picked up on my own but I am excited to read it.
xyz

Postby brightasyellow » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 am

I found some discussion questions for the book online... perhaps we can use those once we start the conversation?

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby onsilver_stars » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 am

brightasyellow wrote:I found some discussion questions for the book online... perhaps we can use those once we start the conversation?

Awesome! Yes!

whirlingdervish wrote:I started reading it on my road trip over Thanksgiving * I * really into it! Its so not * I would have normally picked out for myself but I * definitely enjoying it. :) Cant wait to talk * it!

Yayy! I'm glad! Isn't it addicting? It's one of those books that when you get to the end, and you liked it, you MUST have the sequel ASAP.

xyz wrote:My copy * in the mail yesterday. It looks like it is shaping up to be * cold * dreary day here. Time to build * fire, curl up, * get some reading done! I read the first chapter or so last night before basically passing out * i'll echo the sentiment that it is * book I wouldn't have picked up on my own but I * excited to read it.

:D Off topic, but I'm beyond jealous of your ability to build a fire. All I get to do it position myself near a radiator haha.
...I wish and wish and wish.

I know I'm private, but I'll accept you I swear! You only have to request it.. *
onsilver_stars

Postby xyz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:27 pm

brightasyellow wrote:I found some discussion questions for the book online... perhaps we can use those once we start the conversation?

Should we post the questions now so we can be thinking about them while we read or are they too spoiler-y?

onsilver_stars wrote:
:D Off topic, but I'm beyond jealous of your ability to build a fire. All I get to do it position myself near a radiator haha.

Oh my, having a fireplace is so wonderful! The boyfriend and I are going to roast marshmallows soon! I enjoyed the first 100 pages with cups of tea, glow of a Christmas tree, and the sounds of crackling wood. Good day!
xyz

Hello

Postby WestonHerne » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:09 am

Well written, give him vodka! :P
WestonHerne

Next

Return to Page Turners