Favorite Magazines / Digests / Zines

What's on your reading list? What have you just finished? Share your literary picks here!

Favorite Magazines / Digests / Zines

Postby anne » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:56 pm

What are your favorite magazines to read? What makes you a regular reader?

Personally, I love a lot of online/digital reading material. I subscribe to Bitch and Bust digitally and purchase back issues when I can because I can be a big nerd with magazines. I was a huge Reader's Digest fan when I was a kid. A magazine that I like, Filament Magazine, which is an erotica magazine, just closed it doors. As in this morning. It's probably what inspired me to start this thread. I'm also a huge fan of zines/distributions. There isn't a zine "scene" locally, so I get by by ordering stuff online. My current favorite is called The Radical Uprise.
Twitter: *
anne

Re: Favorite Magazines / Digests / Zines

Postby superlatifs » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:08 am

I absolutely adore magazines - when I was a kid my parents got me a subscription to Chickadee/OWL kids magazines and I loved getting the issue every month and reading the entire thing cover to cover. I actually subscribe to a lot of magazines that I can't keep up with...so I'm trying to cut down. Currently I subscribe to Fashion, Harper's Bazaar, Women's Health, and The Walrus (which is basically Canada's version of The New Yorker). My family gets The Economist, and I usually try to peruse it every week because they're so thorough with current events around the world.

Other magazines that I enjoy reading are The Nation and Monocle...locally, I like Inventory, Geist, Discorder, and Sad. I unfortunately don't really know very much about zine culture :(
superlatifs

Postby brightasyellow » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:00 pm

I get The New Yorker. I love it. I try to read every article, but that can get daunting. Other than that, I don't regularly read magazines because there seems to be so much content for free on the web...
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby xyz » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:12 pm

I love magazines/zines! Currently I'm only subscribed to BUST but it is such a super treat when it arrives in the mailbox. I had a subscription to Rolling Stone (I got scammed TWICE into a 2 year subscription) and the music portion usually wasn't much to rave about but they have some great investigative reports. I don't think I've ever received more than one copy of any particular zine which is disappointing. I would love some suggestions.
xyz

Postby anne » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Yeah, magazines can be repetitive. My aunt once gave me a one-year subscription to Cosmo and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the same stuff only 6 months later. I think Cosmo would advise readers "pat don't rub" every other month. Even the sex advice is disappointingly familiar. Funny how it would brag, "157 sex positions to try underwater!!!" but I think it would only cater to acrobats.

As for zines... There are some good ones on Etsy. It's most appealing to me when there's a riot grrrl vibe to it. I recently ordered from http://www.etsy.com/shop/HoaxZine but my zines aren't here yet. I'm so fascinated by the zine culture! It's like I want to start collecting.

I'm definitely going to look up everything mentioned in this thread. So fun! Haha.
anne

Postby brightasyellow » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

Ugh, the mainstream magazines oriented to women (Cosmo, etc) make me want to vomit. I feel like they help perpetuate the media's version of an ideal woman. Even when they have articles on "real women," the opposite page will be an ad for how to lose weight.
And I do not want to be a rose.
I do not wish to be pale pink,
but flower scarlet, flower gold.
And have no thorns to distance me,

but be bright,
bright,
bright as yellow,
warm as yellow.

* on Twitter
brightasyellow

Postby Amused Kitty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Currently, I just subscribe to Bust.

For a while, Business Week would inexplicably show up in my mailbox every week. I don't know how that happened, but they never billed me so I won't complain.

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with cats and had a subscription to Cat Fancy. I'd even go through each issue with a pen and write names for all the kitties...haha!

Also, Cosmo makes my brain hurt.
Amused Kitty

Postby Amber13 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 pm

I subscribe to Nylon which is my fave magazine. It has a bit of everything for me. Style, beauty, music/films, art, etc. It's just different from the more mainstream mags that are geared towards women.

I'm also subscribed to like 4 dance magazines (I'm a dancer/choreographer/teacher).
twitter.com/AmberKirby89
thebeautyofbeing.tumblr.com
Amber13

Postby Mellietronx » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 am

anne wrote:What are your favorite magazines to read? What makes you a regular reader?

Personally, I love a lot of online/digital reading material. I subscribe to Bitch and Bust digitally and purchase back issues when I can because I can be a big nerd with magazines. I was a huge Reader's Digest fan when I was a kid. A magazine that I like, Filament Magazine, which is an erotica magazine, just closed it doors. As in this morning. It's probably what inspired me to start this thread. I'm also a huge fan of zines/distributions. There isn't a zine "scene" locally, so I get by by ordering stuff online. My current favorite is called The Radical Uprise.

I love Jetta from Radical Uprise! She is pretty much the sweetest person I have met in the scene. Awesome seeing that title on a message board :) I have every issue hehe

I love Bust as well. I have an on-going subscriptions and a few back issues.
Mellietronx

Postby anne » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:43 pm

Yay for TRU! I so want to order back issues of TRU but our service is a postal blackhole. If I can get some extra money, I'll ask if she can send it via Fedex or some other courier so it gets delivered safe and straight to my door!
anne

Next

Return to Page Turners