I had a specific request this week from my Special Man Friend: “Please Make Cake.” So I did. I made a rich and delicious Flourless Chocolate Cake. A Flourless Cake seems impossible… but it’s not. Why this works? Cocoa powder contains both starch and fiber, which gives it the ability to act like flour in baking.
Reasons I love this cake: It’s easy. It isn’t suppose to look pretty (and beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway). It’s delicious, rich and brownie-like. It’s gluten-free & dairy-free.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 1 hour
Serves: 8 to 12
- 6-oz. semisweet vegan dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter
- 8 large eggs, chilled
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch nonstick springform pan, set aside. note: Using a high quality springform pan is recommended. The seal needs to be tight, otherwise the batter will drip through.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate and vegan butter. Whisk together well and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl beat eggs for 5-minutes, on medium speed, until bubbly and light. (I use my KitchenAid Stand Mixer)
- Gradually add sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla into the egg mixture. Whisk well.
- With the mixer running, slowly drizzle in chocolate/butter mixture, until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan, and smooth the top.
- Bake in the center of the preheat oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Bake until the center is just set and the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool on a wire rack and transfer to the refrigerator to chill. Before removing the sides of the pan, run a knife around the edge. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!
Note: This cake will rise high during the baking process and then lovingly fall into a dense cake with a crusty top. It’s suppose to work this way. It’s what makes this cake so wonderful and easy… it’s not suppose to look perfect!
Other Laura Friendly Treats:
- Rose Hip Cocktail
- Gluten-free, Dairy-free Coconut Macaroons
- Gluten-free, Dairy-free Breakfast Biscuits
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!