I need to defend this once and for all and then I’m going about my afternoon because I have a new episode fresh on my TiVo. The Challenge is far and away the best reality program out there – trust me, I know them all.
First thing’s first: it would take an alien or a robot to not get extremely and disproportionately invested in these characters. I mean, I feel like I’ve grown up with these dysfunctional, drunk, fighting and drama-prone people. They’re the crappy family I never had and I cherish our time together greatly.
As an avid reality TV watcher (don’t judge me, you are too), I feel like no other show has as much political content or intrigue as this program. The level of manipulation is on par with the highest level of politics in our two party system.
Let’s get more specific.
1. The show has the best reality villain in the history of reality TV. His name is CT. Ever heard of him? He’s been kicked off two shows for punching a fellow contestant and I still wouldn’t hesitate to say yes if he asked me out on a date. Come on, guys – need I say more?
2. TJ – what a host. When he got into his accident last year, I nearly had a nervous breakdown until I found out he was okay. On top of that, TJ is the guy for the job because he doesn’t let his contestants get away with anything.
3. The format is always changing and it’s always brilliant. It started with Real World vs. Road Rules but it’s become SO MUCH MORE. Fresh Meat? Really? GOLD. That’s a whole new cast and we got three of the biggest all stars ever in Kenny, Evan and Evelyn. It gives me chills just talking about it.
4. There’s never a dull moment. The challenges are death-defying, there is always an orgy in the jacuzzi and guys and girls are screaming at each other constantly. It never gets old.
5. Finally – and most importantly – some of the smartest people I know that don’t watch any other reality programs watch this show. I’m talking about some of the classiest people around, and they’re totally hooked on this show just like me. It’s the lowest brow entertainment I can find that somehow appeals to all of my highbrow friends. That’s just good programming.
For these reasons and so many more, I can’t stop watching The Challenge and I never will. I get giddy about it, it makes me emotional and I hope it never goes away. Yes, I am totally serious if you couldn’t tell.
Image via MTV.com