For years now I’ve been making mix tapes to share online with friends. The first one was on an old, long-forgotten blog and was literally just a list of links to songs on other blogs. I’m happy to say times have changed and technology advanced, and I’m happy to share this latest mix here on Hello Giggles! Enjoy!
1. JC & Co. – Setting & Sun One of my fave bands out of Austin, this is their first full-length album, coming out in October (I’ve only waited three years for it, NO BIGGIE). It’s like diving into a beautiful pool except the water is the mid-60′s and maybe the is drugged a little bit. It was recorded in a home studio, like all the best Austin music is. A brilliant, catchy, tap-your-feet follow up to their EP.
2. Loudon Wainwright III – The Swimming Song Since I refuse to let summer go, what better way to cling to it for dear life than with the summeriest song of all? My roommate and I used to be in love with this when I lived in Brooklyn. We’d sit in the living room, play it on guitar and sing together; I haven’t been able to stop listening since.
3. Peter & the Wolf/Mellow Owl – Bottle Rockettes I don’t know what this band is calling themselves these days, but they switched from Peter & the Wolf to Mellow Owl the last time I saw them (while I was working on Echotone, a music doc about Austin). Whatever they’re called, this song makes me feel like I’m 17, sitting on top of a janky old car in a parking lot at night three weeks before school starts again, with a bunch of really fun friends.
4. Miniature Tigers – Boomerang I found this song on one of my favorite music blogs, Largehearted Boy. He said he fell in love with it at first hear and once again, I fully trust his judgement. This has to be the most fun song I’ve heard since The Pipettes changed their lineup. They don’t sound anything like them, but this song is catchy like a first grader with chicken pox!
5. Kings of Convenience – Boat Behind This band. THIS BAND. They sound like the 1970s wants to make out with you on a couch made of Scandinavian spring. And considering band member Erlend Øye, I’d be more than OK with that. I have a special affection for music from the region, though usually it’s Swedish indie-pop and these guys are from Norway.Either way, the song feels to me like it encapsulates the beauty and odd sadness of summer nights that don’t end — literally, there’s like 20 hours of daylight in Scandinavia all summer.
6. Fionn Regan – For a Nightengale The fact that he has a new album this summer is enough reason to never want summer to end. I’ve been waiting way too long for it, and it was worth every minute/hour/month/year (seriously, foreverrrrrr). This song is like a summer sunset: beautiful and moving, but full of energy and bursts of light. The album is up on Amazon, and vinyl copies will be available in the States in a few months.
7. International Waters – Chocolate Another Austin band? Yes. Keep up, guys. Austin wins at music. I Love these guys. They have a ton of stuff on Bandcamp, go listen. You’ll thank me later, in the comments section. Or now. It’s cool, I’ll wait.
8. Jens Lekman – An Argument With Myself Jens and I are getting married next week and you’re all invited. (Anyone have his contact info? Maybe someone should tell him) Another Swede with a hold on my heart. New EP coming out Sep 20th!!! This is the title track from it that I got completely legally by downloading it from whatever site the Hype Machine threw at me. It’s about living in Melbourne and having lots of feelings. Endearing, adorable, and slightly disconcerting as Jens is wont to be. Warning: he drops an F-bomb. I assume your delicate ears can handle it (it’s a really fun, upbeat song, this isn’t death metal or anything), but I thought I’d let you know.
9. The Chills – Doledrums A friend of mine turned me on to this band last year and I’ve never looked back. Really fun, really great tunes with a dash of the beautiful and dreamy. Not necessarily a specifically summer oriented song, it’s more of an all-seasons kind of song. Don’t stash it too far in the corner when you hang up your bikini for the winter, it’ll come in handy even in the snowiest of snows.
10. Billie The Vision & The Dancers – Summercat I totally stole this track off the blog SwedesPlease. Surprise! Another Swedish band playing awesome Swedish indie pop. It’s about parting from your summer fling, and how else would you express that sorrow if not with slightly latin undertones?
11. Acid House Kings – Would You Say Stop? Also Swedish, because I have a one track mind and toes that like to tap. Another band I’ve listened to obsessively for years, because they are addictive and I’m pretty sure they put crack in the sound waves. This is my favorite track off their new album, which just came out this spring and was years – YEARS, YOU GUYS – overdue. This mix just made me realize how much time I spend waiting for bands to release things.
12. The Villas – Oh So Social Club Another Austin band. Have we figured out yet that all great music comes from Austin (and Sweden)? If not, just start the mix over and lather, rinse, repeat. Also this band has a twitter.
Listen to the mix HERE
photo credit: me, the Columbia River, and an Oregon sunset