I picked up some lovely luscious blackberries at my local farmers’ market. The market was closing, so the seller cut me a deal: 8 containers of fresh organic blackberries for a mere $10. Jackpot, right? JAM JACKPOT!!
This is the easiest jam anyone has ever made, ever. All you have to do is make a simple syrup, blend it up with the blackberries, stir in the chia seeds and wait for the fruity mixture to turn into a thick jam. The key ingredient here are the magical chia seeds, which soak up to ten times their own weight in water. Bonus? Chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods around, chock full of fiber and antioxidants.
Blackberry Chia Seed Jam
makes about 1 cup
total time: 1 hour
total hands on time: 5 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons dry chia seeds
What you’ll do:
1. Bring the water to a boil in a small pot and then stir in the sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat. This is your simple syrup.
2. Combine ONLY 2 tablespoons of the simple syrup and blackberries in a blender and blend until well-mixed. Use the rest of your simple syrup for a drink or a fruit salad!
3. Transfer mixture to a bowl or jar and stir in chia seeds. If it seems too thick, add in a spoonful of simple syrup or water. If it seems too thin, sprinkle in a few more chia seeds.
4. Refrigerate for at least an hour, and then you’ll have your jam!
You can use this basic recipe for any summer fruit, including cherries, blueberries or raspberries. If you’re concerned about the sugar content, you can always sub in a few tablespoons of honey, agave nectar or another natural sweetener.