Do something nice for your dad this Father’s Day. And by ‘nice’, I mean, show him you love him and his cholesterol level by making him some homemade (and yummy) veggie burgers!
Make a big ‘ol batch and then grill one up for your dad this Sunday and freeze the rest. They’re also great pan fried in some olive oil or crumbled over a salad. The patty is a complete meal of protein (beans), complex carbs (brown rice) and veggies!
Mr. Kate’s DIY Veggie Burgers (vegan and gluten free)
What You Need:
- 10 oz of cooked rice (or 1 package of pre-cooked frozen rice from Trader Joe’s)
- 17 oz cooked lentils (or 1 package of pre-cooked lentils from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 jalapeno – chopped (optional)
- 1.5 cups of quick cook oats
- 1/2 can of black beans1/2 can of pinto beans
- 4 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of smokey seasoning (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- Prep all of your ingredients, i.e. cook your rice, lentils and beans (if you’re not using pre-cooked canned, pre-steamed or frozen options) and chop your veggies. No need to pre-cook your oats, they’ll cook when you heat your finished patty.
- Mix all your ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Finely mince your mixture in a food processor.
- Form pureed mixture into burger patties – make them whatever size you want. tip: moisten hands with water to avoid patty sticking to hands.
- Stack patties together with waxed or butcher paper in between each patty (so they don’t stick in fridge or freezer).
- Freeze for future use.
- To cook/heat: thaw and heat on a grill (use a dollop of Earth Balance on top), in an oven or in a skillet with olive oil. Eat like a burger or crumble on a salad!
Check out more of my original recipes here!
Check out more recipes on HelloGiggles here!
All photos via mrkate.com