When the BF and I moved into our rental pad, we needed a light fixture over the dining room table but there was no wiring to hook one up and no money in my pocket-book (does anyone ever actually call it that?). So, in a pinch, I thought up a quick, easy and on-the-cheap DIY Paper-Lantern-Chandelier-ish Pendant Light!
I’m like a magpie and have an uncontrollable attraction to shiny things and chandelier crystals are not safe from my talons! I had a collection of random ones which I’d nabbed at various flea markets, etc. so I thought I’d put them to use, sprucing up a very large paper party lantern! This is a great solution for anyone wanting to swag a light anywhere there isn’t a built-in fixture and get a chandelier-like effect for a fraction of the cost!
What You Need:
- A Paper Lantern – size and color of your choosing. I got my 24 inch turquoise beauty from Luna Bazaar for $11.75
- A light cord – they come in black or white with a plug so you can run the wire up the wall and over the ceiling to drop down where ever you want your fixture. $14.95 from Luna Bazaar.
- Chandelier crystals – buy them at flea markets, thrift stores, Etsy or Ebay
- A screw hook – from which to hang your cord. Some light cord kits come with them, it looks like this.
- A staple gun or tacks – to secure the cord to the ceiling and wall to avoid droopage
- Mark on the ceiling exactly where you want your light cord to hang down from, ex: over the dining table, bed, etc.
- Screw in your screw hook to the spot in the ceiling (you may want a second screw hook to swag the cord over to the wall).
- Put your paper lantern together – it’s super easy, just follow the directions that come with and don’t rip the delicate paper!
- Attach your lantern shade onto and around your light cord – there’s a hook on the lantern for easy hanging.
- Staple any slack in the cord to the ceiling and down the wall – optional step.
- Final touch: hang the beautiful chandelier crystals from their hooks around the metal base of the lantern for the glitz factor.
Yes! Done! Turn it on!!!