What could be better for Summer than mermaid hair? If you’re just looking to just be a weekend mermaid, hair chalking is the perfect technique. I didn’t make this process up but I’ve been craving to satisfy my inner fairy mermaid (do those exist?) – so I grabbed some soft pastels and my cute camera guy, Brad, and got to chalking!
Mr. Kate’s DIY Colorful (Pastel) Hair Tips Using Soft Pastels AKA Fancy Chalk
- Get soft pastels from the art store or online – I used pastel colors by Sennelier
- If you’re brunette or have black hair, a spray bottle with water
- Hair spray – optional to seal color
- Take about a half inch piece of hair and twist the ends
- *If you’re brunette, have black hair or dark red hair, spray the ends with your water bottle to moisten.
- Use the chalk to dispense the pigment up and down the area of hair you want colored
- Shake off the excess chalk (PS – wear something old while you’re chalking in case any falls and stains).
- Optional: seal in with hairspray – I didn’t do this step and the chalk stayed really well and didn’t get on my clothes at all!
For another temporary color tips solution – check out my DIY Colorful Tipped Clip-in Hair Extensions post!
- Shorts, forever 21
- Tank, forever 21
- Lace/chiffon tie top, Topshop
- Shoes, Topshop
- Jewelry is a mix of Mr. Kate and vintage