I think we can all agree there is pretty much nothing in the world that isn’t better dipped in chocolate. I mean, let’s just think about it – strawberries dipped in chocolate are better, marshmallows dipped in chocolate are better, Ryan Gosling dipped in chocolate would definitely be better. So why should cupcakes be any different? Chocolate-dipped cupcakes are one of those things that look super fancy and like you’ve put in loads of effort but in reality are super easy and taste (obviously) extremely delicious. If you have any troubles with the recipe, please leave a comment. Also if you manage to come up with something that wouldn’t be better dipped in chocolate, I would definitely like to prove you wrong…
- Your favorite cupcake recipe or (dare I say it) cupcake mix.
- Your favorite frosting recipe or (you know what, I’m just gonna say it) ready-made frosting. White frosting will be best.
- A pot of Cocoa Candy Dips or a small bowl of melted milk chocolate.
1. Bake your cupcakes. You can really bake whatever cupcakes you like just as long as it goes with chocolate – and come on, who are we kidding? Everything goes with chocolate. I chose red velvet cupcakes.
2. Frost your cupcakes. To make the chocolate dipping most effective, try to make your frosting into one big swirl. To do this, you will need a frosting bag with a very wide nozzle. It also helps to try and make the swirl in one movement as it makes it look much smoother, but don’t worry if your frosting skills aren’t perfect as the chocolate will cover up any mistakes.
3. Freeze your cupcakes for about 20 minutes. The first time I tried dipping my cupcake without freezing it, the whole top came off into the chocolate, so make sure you don’t skip this step.
4. Watch half an episode of Grey’s Anatomy while you’re waiting for them to freeze (this step isn’t 100% necessary but is highly recommended).
5. Okay, this is it, the moment we have all been waiting for: the chocolate dip! But seriously, don’t worry, this is actually the easiest step! As long as your cupcake is frozen, all you need to do is pick it up and carefully dip it into the chocolate. I found one big dip (try to cover as much of the icing as possible) followed by quickly removing it works the best. And don’t worry if you don’t get it perfect on your first try!
6. Wait for the chocolate to harden and then enjoy your incredible creation!
All images via my camera