Smoothies! They’re the best thing in the world. The literal best thing. Don’t believe me? Ask Pinterest. Ask Instagram. Ask your healthiest friend.
I am by not means a paragon of health or fitness (shout out to the cheese sandwich I made where all the parts of it including the “bread” were cheese!), but I start almost every day with a green smoothie. They’re basically the Perfect Breakfast, and here’s why:
1) They provide a great early-morning energy boost, and cram me full of veggies and fruits so that if I have a plain baguette for lunch I know I won’t die of scurvy by dinner.
2) They’re delicious—it’s fruit, some kind of yummy creamy dairy or nut milk, maybe a yogurt, some cacao or honey for sweetness… it’s like having a milkshake for breakfast.
3) They’re so quick and easy to make—and you can store lil ziplock baggies full of smoothie ingredients in the freezer, ready and waiting for those mornings when you just caaaaan’t, you know?
4) They use up whatever you have leftover: bananas that are too mushy to eat? A scoop of peanut butter? A tiny bit of leftover milk? Some seeds you found? Pop them all in that blender and don’t even worry about it.
5) They make almost no mess: especially if you have a fancy self-cleaning blender. But even for the rest of us—most of us—who probably don’t, you just have to rinse and clean your blender and one glass. That’s it! C’est tout. Merci bien.