Do you have a soundtrack for your life?
You know the songs you hear in your head, when you accomplish something amazing, are on a great adventure or are sitting in your bathtub crying over a recent breakup? For me, the guaranteed emotional break down song at the moment is pretty much any song from Adele’s 21 album. Where was this album when I was dumped by the series of “artists” and “musicians” who told me that they couldn’t love me the way I “deserved”? But I digress…
Music is a powerful medium. It can tap into the many emotional layers of our simple yet complicated minds. Why is it that even just hearing the first few bars of ‘In Your Eyes’ by Peter Gabriel immediately brings to my mind the image of the amazing Lloyd Dobler standing outside with his boombox , convincing me that this is what love does? It makes you stand outside your crappy car, holding a heavy ass boombox blaring a song because sometimes words are not enough… you need Peter Gabriel and a whole lotta string instruments to convince the one you love that yes, I really do love you.
Even Disney movies have figured out the power of the quintessential Theme Song. And don’t front, you know the lyrics to at least three Little Mermaid songs.
This week Amy and I discuss our playlists and the songs that have captured us at the moment. For me, I always have ‘Pictures of You’ by The Cure on at least one playlist (and Amy stop laughing!) Plus, the new Drive soundtrack will convince you that, “Yes, I am the shizz. Yes, I can run this red light. And Yes, that wearing a gold lame driving jacket is a good idea.”
Here is a list of songs that have strengthened, emotionally destroyed my mascara, and inspired me throughout the years.
1. ‘In Your Eyes’ – Peter Gabriel (When I’m arguing with my husband, I’ve always had a fantasy of playing this song and screaming at him, “Do you love me like John Cusack? Do you?”)
2. ‘Pictures of You’ – The Cure (Amy, stop laughing.)
3. ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ – Joy Division (Amy, stop laughing.)
4. ‘I Would Die 4 U’ – Prince (I am seriously blasting this song right now coz it makes me feel like the leg warmers I’m wearing are fitting for this occasion. Plus, my cousin taught me how to dance to this song and the rest of the Purple Rain album. Thanx Cuz, I can ’80s dance like no one’s business now.)
5. ‘A Boy Named Sue’ – Johnny Cash (Makes me think of my awesome Dad, who would put this song on to cheer me up as a kid.)
6. ‘Songbird’ – Fleetwood Mac (Guaranteed ‘tears running down my face, racking sobs, clutching my son telling him how much Mommy loves him’ song.)
7. ‘Juicy’ – The Notorious B.I.G. (What can I say? Sometimes you just need a song for when you “drink champagne when you’re Thirs-tay”.)
Tune in to The Heatley Cliff this week for our very musical podcast and compare the musical stylings of myself and my wifey Amy. Guaranteed you’ll find that combined we are a musical force that may inspire the current Soundtrack to your Life.
And yes, it is a bit intimidating telling your award winning song writer of a friend that “Yeah, maybe I do like The Decemberists.” (Amy, stop laughing!)