Apple Nachos came to me by way of every girl’s (and increasingly, guy’s) favorite new obsession: Pinterest. I drank the Pinterest Kool-Aid way back last summer, and my pinning addiction is 6 months long and going strong. I kept seeing different versions of apple nachos get pinned again and again, so I thought I’d set out to make my own (without looking at any of the pinned recipes, of course. Scout’s honor!). Apple Nachos are crazy-easy to make, but they’re kind of unusual at the same time. I mean, I swear I never heard the words “apple” and “nacho” put together until I got on Pinterest. Did you? Probably not. As sweet treats go, these are on the healthier side of the spectrum, basically because they’re a slightly-more-dressed-up version of your classic “apples and peanut butter” after school snack.
My boyfriend and I ate these as an after-lunch treat, but apple nachos would be a cool novelty dessert or appetizer at a party, don’t you think? Perfect for kids to eat, too, and really simple for them to make.
There’s really no end to the different ways you could make these. Try different kinds of nut butters, honey, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce or even icing if you’re trying to get crazy. Add raisins or other dried fruits, fresh blueberries, sliced grapes, M&Ms, coconut, shaved chocolate….GO CRAZY WITH TOPPINGS! Mix some sliced pears in with the apples or try sliced bananas instead.
Total time: less than 10 minutes
Total hands-on time: less than 10 minutes
What you’ll need:
- 5 apples, sliced
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter, melted
- chocolate chips to taste
- sliced or chopped almonds to taste
What you’ll do:
1. Chop the apples. Slice 3 of the apples vertically, into wedges, and 2 of them horizontally, into circular slices.
2. Douse the apples with just a little bit of lemon juice so they don’t turn brown.
3. Melt the peanut butter in the microwave, using a Pyrex or other measuring cup with a spout.
4. Arrange the apple slices on a large plate or platter, much as you would if you were using tortilla chips: layer ‘em, stack’em, overlap ‘em.
5. Drizzle the peanut butter carefully over the apples, then sprinkle your chocolate chips and nuts all around. And I do mean ALL around…you don’t want a little Hansel-and-Gretel trail here, you want these apples covered with the tasty toppings.
And you’re done! If you guys wanna link up on Pinterest, leave your usernames in the comments and I promise to follow all of y’all. I’m kind of too embarrassed to leave my username here in the post, not because I don’t think I have AWESOME TASTE in pretty clothes and pretty landscapes and pretty throw pillows, but because I don’t want y’all to think I’m jonesin’ for Pinterest followers. Regardless, I’m truly interested in seeing the funny dog pictures and DIY shirtdress projects you’ve pinned, so just look for me to pop up in your followers