When tattoo artist and television personality Kat Von D isn’t rocking her signature winged eyeliner, she can be seen wearing a softer, half-moon shaped smokey eye. In this tutorial, I will show you step-by-step how to achieve this alternative smokey eye look!
I’m going to use gold, grey and black eyeshadow, but if you wish to create a more natural smokey eye, use brown and bronze coloured eyeshadows.
1. Prep eyelids with concealer or an eyeshadow primer. Add a beige or gold eyeshadow to the entire lid and up to the brow bone. This will create a fantastic contrast to the darker, smokey shadow you will apply later on.
2. Using either pencil eyeliner or gel, draw a fine line along the top of the lash line.
3. Extend the line up into a half moon shape that goes up into the crease of your eyelid.
4. Go over this line with a dark shadow (either black or brown) with a very small pointed eyeshadow brush.
5. Using a fluffier brush and a slightly lighter shade of eyeshadow, smudge the colour out to create the desired smokey effect.
6. Add eyeshadow down beneath your waterline and blend.
If you want a sharper smokey eye that is reminiscent of winged cat eyeliner, hold a piece of card at an angle. Then blend eyeshadow up to the edge for a clean line.
Or blend it out for a softer, more gradual smokey eye.
Don’t forget mascara and eyeliner for a more dramatic finish, and pair with nude lips to bring attention to your eyes!
Featured image via ShutterStock/the author