In honor of the New Year, I thought I’d think about some of my bad shopping/clothes-related habits. Thus, it is resolved that in 2012:
- Take that enormous bag of clothes that need to be mended/dry-cleaned to someone who knows what they are doing. There’s cute stuff in there that I bought at at thrift store and resolved to have cleaned or mended but never did. And there’s even cute stuff I bought new, but the seam ripped and I lack the wherewithal to fix it myself.
- Hmmm, maybe I should just learn to sew?
- On a related note, maybe some of the stuff that claims it needs to be dry-cleaned really doesn’t. Maybe I could handwash it?
- I should figure out where I stand on dry-cleaning. It sort of creeps me out a little. But I’m scared of damaging a piece of clothing that claims to need it.
- In any event, deal with enormous bag of slightly damaged/claims-it-needs-to-be-dry-cleaned stuff. I miss those clothes, dang it.
WHEN SHOPPING, I WILL ALSO…
- Expand my horizons when it comes to jewelry. As of now, I only buy earrings: the bigger and dangle-y-ier the better. I almost entirely eschew necklaces, bracelets, and rings. Why is that? I don’t know.
- Buy some cute nightwear, rather than simply wearing my oversized t-shirt with a bear gardening on it that says “Hairy Potter.” Even though I love that t-shirt.
Not a good look
- Attempt to scale the personal Mt. Everest that is buying dress pants. It’s hard enough to find pants that look good on me, and I’ve largely abandoned the field in favor of skirts and leggings. But I should have some dressier, formal pants right? For when I need to dress like a grown-up? I must promise myself not to break down in the store, beating the ground with my fists and shouting, Why do formal pants look so bad on me? AND DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON CAPRI PANTS.
- Buy more belts, because you can never have enough. Even though I find belts difficult to shop for second-hand. Maybe people just hang on to their cute belts forever?
I WILL NOT…
- Buy more heels UNTIL I actually wear some of the cute, colorful heels dangling in my closet that I always chicken out of wearing in lieu of wearing comfortable flats.
- Buy ironic t-shirts.
- Avoid buying new bras until the only bras I have are held together with duck tape or I’m wearing a swimsuit as underwear, Liz Lemon-style. Even I have to resort to this.
Any New Years clothes/shopping resolutions?
Photo by Brave New Films. Image take from TheDigeratilife