DIY #4 of Mr. Kate’s 12 DIYS of ChristmaHanukkahKwanzaaSolstice is all about gifts for her and mom! For the funky ladies in your life, make a super unique and super easy ‘Stick Necklace’ and for the classy ladies, or the ladies that love to have uber soft skin, make a luxurious homemade ‘Salt Scrub‘!
Colorful Stick Necklace
What You Need:
- Dried or dead sticks from outside
- 24 to 26 gauge soft wire
- Beads or hardware elements of your choice
- A piece of chain
- Paid of pliers
- Wire cutter
- Acrylic paint
- Optional: clasp and jump rings
- break your sticks into 1″ to 2″ lengths.
- paint the sticks with the acrylic paint colors of your choosing. let dry.
- cut a piece of wire and wire-wrap your bead or washer onto the stick in the center or offset to one side. keep wrapping until your bead is secure and seal by wrapping the wire around itself and crimping closed with the pliers.
- lay your sticks out in a visually pleasing stack and wire wrap the ends of each stick to the end of the above or below stick. use a figure 8 wrapping pattern and keep going until they feel secure.
- use the end of your wire or another piece of wire to create a loop through one end of your chain to attache your chain to your stick pendant. twist and cinch closed with the pliers. repeat on the other side.
- optional: attach a clasp and jump rings to your necklace if the chain is too short to put it on over your head.
Luxurious Aroma-therapeutic Salt Scrub
What You Need:
- Glass jar – I got mine at Ikea but you could use a pretty jam jar, etc.
- Sea salt – around 1 cup or more of fine or coarse sea salt, depending on how rough you want your scrub.
- Oil of your choosing: olive, peanut, grapeseed, sweet almond oil, jajoba, etc.
- Aromatherapy oil of your choosing: cinnamon, lavender, orange, lemongrass, etc.
- Decoration elements: raffia, ribbon, cinnamon sticks, dried lavender sprigs, vintage labels printed out on cardstock… I just googled ‘vintage labels.’
- Mix roughly 1 cup of salt to 1/2 cup of oil, depending on the size of your jar. It is very forgiving because you can change the consistency of your scrub by adding more of either.
- Add 5 to 15 drops of your aromatherapy oil. Mix.
- Put the salt mixture in your glass jar and garnish with dried lavender, ground cinnamon, lemon grass, etc.
- Close your jar and decorate the outside with raffia, ribbon, vintage labels with the ingredients listed, cinnamon sticks, lavender sprigs, etc!