I’ve been meaning to write this article for a while now, but for some reason or other have delayed doing so… until now. I am currently watching ADELE’s Live at Royal Albert Concert Hall DVD and I literally can’t keep my feelings in any longer. It is great to be a woman in 2012. It’s great to be a woman, period really.
The nice thing about the way history is going is that things seem to keep getting better for women— and thus this sentiment may not be new, but regardless it’s important for every generation to voice it. You see, I’ve always had the sneaking suspicion there was a young feminist brewing inside me. To be fair I was no Susan B. Anthony, but I think my affinity towards the Spice Girls and their message of “girl power” is enough to qualify me for the Young Feminist Awards (heretofore known as the Femmys— like the Emmys but better).
I always had it in the back of my mind that girls could do things just as well, if not better than most of the boys I knew. But being a twelve year old feminist isn’t necessarily the best thing for adolescent insecurities as if often leaves underdeveloped boys feeling threatened by your raw female power. However as a semi self-actualized twenty-three year old woman I think I can now confidently say that it’s pretty darn incredible to be a woman.
And the best thing is I have proof! Each and every passing moment brings yet another milestone in women’s accomplishments, to the point that I have way too many female role models to even keep count (this is not hyperbole my fellow uteruses… uteri?). I’m 100% serious when I say I’m losing count.
We interrupt your regularly scheduled blog post to bring you a short list (in no particular order) of just some of the incredible women that are changing the world.
1. ADELE: Singer/Songwriter. Writes songs about feelings you didn’t even know you had.
2. Beyonce: Singer/Entertainer/Mogul/Reincarnated Goddess. I like to refer to B as the head of the unofficial pantheon of divas. There is nothing Beyonce can’t do better than you, and in a 6 inch pair of stilettos, too.
3. Ellen Degeneres: Talk Show Host/Author/Cover Girl/Comedian. This incredible woman makes everyone’s day brighter. She’s kind, hilarious, generous, and smart.
4. Lena Dunham: Writer/Producer/Director/Actress: If you haven’t caught the credits of a Lena Dunham production, well it’s basically all her. This woman is a forced to be reckoned with and much like her character Hannah on Girls, she could very well be the voice of our generation.
5. Marissa Mayer: CEO/Mom/The Boss: This year Marissa Mayer took over Yahoo’s top gig becoming one of 20 female CEOs running Fortune 500 companies.
6. Mindy Kaling: Writer/Executive Producer/Actress. This woman is 100 different kinds of hilarious and if you haven’t watched The Mindy Project/read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns?) then stop what you’re doing and get on it. You’ll thank me later.
7. Emma Stone: Actress/All-Around Hilarious Human Being. MTV recently awarded Emma with its first ever “Trailblazer” award because there was no other award that encompassed the fullness of such a vibrant personality. Sidenote: I chose a picture of Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone together as a treat for us all, because who doesn’t deserve a little Ryan now and again.