1. Blotting papers are key. Sweat may be good at the gym but never fairs well at a BBQ. Try Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens
- removes the shine without disturbing your make-up.
2. Opt for a tinted moisturizer. It’ll “fake” that sun kissed glow. The sun is not your friend. Despite how sexy you may look with a tan, wrinkles and sun spots will last long after the hot dogs and chicken wings digest. Cult favorite: Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 20
3. Waterproof where possible. A waterproof mascara is a must. The last thing you want is mascara running down your face – never on-trend and never sexy. Most of your favorite mascaras come in a waterproof formula, too, like Definicils by Lancome
4. Stain it, don’t gloss it. Glosses melt in sweltering heat, but a stain will give you a hint of natural hue that stays in place. After all, you want the color to stay on your lips, not on his… Favorite stains: Josie Maran Magic Marker
, CoverGirl Outlast
and Benefit Benetint
5. Braid, pony or bun. Long hair is fab, but not when it’s sticking to a sweaty neck. Pull it back into a braid, a pony, or a chignon for summer. You’ll be on-trend and a whole lot cooler (literally and figuratively). Look to try – milkmaid braids
, a contemporary twist on the traditional style.
6. Spritz in style. A mist of refreshing water is certain to cool you off. While you may recall those silly spray bottles with the fans attached (don’t even think about taking them out of hibernation), these days, beauty brands are lending a host of chic waters to freshen up on-the-go. One to try: AMOREPACIFIC Moisture Bound Skin Energy Hydration Delivery System
, an oil-free, water-free, complexion refresher made with bamboo sap for added hydration.
7. Prime time. Think of your face like a canvas. You wouldn’t paint without priming, would you? A primer is even more important come summer. It evens out skin-tone, helps reduce oil and shine, fills in fine lines, and keeps makeup on for hours longer. A must-have (unless you want your face to melt off along with that ice cream). Try Korres silicone-free Face Primer
, made with 99% natural ingredients.
8. Less is more. When it comes to summer makeup, the rule of thumb is less is more. In other words, apply the least amount necessary: something to give you a flawless complexion, mascara to make your eyes pop and a stain for lips and cheeks. That’s it. Too much makeup and you’ll end up channeling Lady Gaga rather than golden goddess
9. Lube up. Try oil instead of lotion to moisturize prior to your big night out. Oil gives you a natural sheen while bringing out the gold in your tan. Plus, it’s a well known fact that oil gives the illusion of skinnier limbs and, during a season where your assets are on display, we can all use a little more skinny. There’s nothing like the classic: Baby Oil
does the job just fine.
10. SPF! It’s obvious, but you may need the reminder. SPF is essential. And you must apply everywhere (that means even the places you think your itsy bitsy string bikini is covering). Make it easy on yourself and opt for a moisturizer with SPF like Kiehl’s cult-classic Creme de Corps Light-Weight
(for summer) with added SPF 30. Wrinkled chests aren’t sexy in any culture, trust me. Slather on!