I admit: I have a little crush on Mayer Hawthorne And The County. Mayer came into my life shortly after the release of A Strange Arrangement and has maintained his presence with the recent album How Do You Do. When I play his music, I dance straight into the living room Risky Business style.
So I couldn’t help my Cheshire-Cat grin upon receiving an invite to LA’s own Umami event (in Space 15 Twenty) for the unveiling of “The Hawthorne” burger. Not only did I eat to my heart’s content, but I also jammed to the beats of DJ Hawthorne spun by none other than Mayer himself. And I cannot think of a better combination than Hennessy, Hawthorne and hamburger. I must add, it was not just any burger. This hamburger had plenty of panache, truly fitting of its namesake: Umami beef patty, cognac-infused parsnip puree, cognac fondue sauce, hatch chilies and hatch chile straws. Oh. My. Hamburger gods.
What I love most — what has made this Midwestern boy a stand-out in the soul revival movement — is Mayer’s lack of formal training, or even the intention of being the man with the voice leading the band. According to him, he got it from his daddy while driving around Michigan listening to the radio, rich in soul and jazz influence, and playing records at the auto shop where his father worked. I also love that the man doesn’t take himself too seriously. I’m convinced it’s exactly that kind of easy attitude that allows him to write the music that makes you want to dance in the face of serious matters like love and breaking up.
So in honor of amazing and inspiring daddies everywhere, here are 10 reasons why you should love Mayer too.
- Sense of style — Who else can rock a bow tie and shorts like Mayer?
- Mayer vs Food — Mayer’s very own foodie reviews of on-the-road eats.
- Happy breakup anthems — I would marry the guy that broke up with me in song this well written.
- Love songs to “Henny” — exactly what it sounds like: a love song written for his favorite drink (and he brings out a bar for his encore performances).
- Fan adoration — He takes and tweets a photo of every one of his concert crowds.
- Host and DJ — He ‘s pulled double duty as DJ of his own concert’s after-parties (after playing a full show, you guys!).
- Love of vinyl — I don’t need to explain the appeal of a man who can appreciate vinyl.
- Snoop Dogg approval — The Lion imparts his ‘Gangsta Luv’ for this Detroit boy.
- Snoop Dogg collaboration — Not only does he approve, but the two ‘Can’t Stop‘ thinking about you.
- Hamburger namesake — Dude has a burger named after him. I mean that is life completion material.
If that isn’t enough, consider the fact that he was wearing a Star Wars sweater at the “The Hawthorne” burger unveiling. Or, the whisperings that he’s also releasing a line of coffee with Intelligentsia. If any of these things do something for you, I highly suggest you do what I do: Get your heart on with Mr. Hawthorne.
Look for iTunes Sessions by Mayer Hawthorne digital EP due to be released October 23, 2012. And don’t miss Mayer’s performance on PBS’s Artist Den airing October 27, 2012. Oh, and a deep nod to Corrine’s BBQ playlist for the excellent Mayer Hawthorne inclusion. In the meantime, Mayer, I just ‘Can’t Stop’ thinking about you … and The Hawthorne.